Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Tin Man Trot-Challenge #2 & The NLEOM

Today is our second session challenge. It is the Tin Man Trot. It is scheduled to be a 2.6 mile run. I hear that there may be some obstacles/physical tasks to complete, also. I'll just have to wait and see.

Yesterday was a good day for classes. In one of my classes, we had to complete an online test for non-verbal facial clues. It was a very interesting and a very powerful lesson. I like this class and the training that it provides. In another class, we were split and my half was given time to complete further research for our research paper. In a couple of weeks, we will head into the interview room and the other half will work on their research paper.

Physical training was yesterday, also. Several of us talked and we did not believe that after the workout that we got on Monday, anything could compare or be worse. It was. Even though we had a lecture on anaerobic and aerobic exercise physiology and what each does for the body, strength and endurance, the gym loomed.

Our guest instructor (E.J. was in upstate New York speaking to a group of law enforcement officers) set up eight cross fit style stations for us. We started with a five minute jog and bodyweight exercise warmup and then on to the stations for twenty minutes. We then did a shortened ten minute circuit of four of those stations of our choosing. That was followed by a tortuous cool-down core building 'relaxation period.' I believe that I sweated more than twice my body weight out during that training session. When I sent into the locker room to shower, I am certain that I sounded like a sponge sucking up lost water. There is absolutely no doubt though, I need this physical training and I am benefiting from what we are doing. It is both practical to law enforcement and conditioning.

Okay. The Tin Man Trot is history. I have determined that I do, in fact, have a heart. Why do you ask? Because the designers of this challenge made a valiant attempt to get mine beating to it's maximum potential, then try and rip it out. But I held onto it and retained ownership. This challenge was a 2.6 mile run. There were also physical exercise stations at roughly evenly spaced intervals. First was a lunge station (they wanted a minimum of ten, I did twenty). The next station was an uphill/downhill bear crawl station (they wanted a minimum of three, I gave them three). The next station was a pushup station (they wanted ten, I gave them fifteen). The next station was a shoulder press station from the ground, push up style (they wanted ten, I gave them twelve). The final station was a burpee station (they wanted ten, I gave them ten). Then there was a final run back to the track, with a final lap to the finish. I clearly wasn't first, but I was not last. It was exhausting for me, though.

Next for today is a mandatory seminar on CJIS/VICAP in the auditorium. Then tonight is a mandatory trip to the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial at Judiciary Square in downtown Washington, D.C. I hope to be able to read the names of the Tulsa Police Officers who gave their lives, since I joined the department.

Well, I am back from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. What an awesome place. The ceremony was truly moving and humbling. To be enveloped by the walls which are inscribed with the names of those who willingly gave their lives for us was one of the most touching events that I have experienced.

We were met by bagpipes, including a bagpiper who is in our session. There was posting of colors, the signing of the National Anthem by a member of our session, a wreath laying, speeches, the playing of taps, more bagpipes, and a talk on behalf of the sacrifices of our international session members by a session mate from Bermuda. All session members even raised their right hands and repeated an oath, including international students, that allowed us to rededicate ourselves to law enforcement, our communities, and to each other. That was absolutely awesome.

We were given the opportunity to read the names of those from our agency, who had given their lives protecting us, in the line of duty. I was honored to read the names of three Tulsa Police Officers who gave their lives, since I joined the department in July of 1982.

James A. Slay, End of Watch: 11-10-1986

Gus George Spanos, End of Watch: 04-23-1993

Dick Vernon Hobson, Jr., End of Watch: 06-11-1996








Lions guard one entrance to the memorial. They overlook risky lion cubs. They symbolize the bravery and courage of law enforcement officers. Lionesses guard the other entrance to the memorial. They overlook sleeping lion cubs. They symbolize the kindness and compassion of law enforcement officers.

Yes, I shed some tears and I didn't feel ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment